Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Truth or just a silly legend? EARWIGS IN EARS.


I’ve read that earwigs crawling into ears is just an urban legend. There is nothing to fear, they said. Obviously, they’ve  never had an experience of having an earwig in the ear, what I can’t say about myself anymore. This is a bit of a personal horror story, or, some parts of it might cause fears, so, please, do not read if this info might harm you in any way:

Midnight Earwig Story


I’m not joking, it was midnight (00:30 am, to be precise), late August, and I was already in bed falling deeper & deeper into pleasure of resting just to get uncomfortamble with the feeling in my ear. There was something moving into my ear. I woke up my husband. Surprisingly, he woke up immediately and followed me to the kitchen without knowing what’s happening. There was something in my ear moving and swirling, and giving me one of the worst feelings I’ve ever experienced – it felt like that creature is getting deeper and deeper into my head. I couldn’t get it out with  tweezers. I couldn’t stand still either. That’s the worst feeling ever.  Here me out: keep an unused syringe at home (without a needle for this purpose!). My husband filled it with water, pushed the water in my ear and I was able to meet that monster. A solid body, 6 legs, two antennas on the head and pincers on the other end! Pincers!!! And they have even wings, carefully hidden. A full set of fears packed into one little creature.

Earwigs are mostly active at nighttime. I’ve been scattering dill around the doors, as I’ve read dill repels earwigs from enetring the house. Although in summer we keep the windows open as well and it’s easy for earwigs to hitchike inside the house on our clothes unnoticed... So, after getting that earwig in my ear, I slept with earplugs in my ears for about a month :D It still has been the only such kind of encounter with earwig in our household, so, I’m just putting it out there for you know that earwigs crawling into human ears is not just a legend. It can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, experiences or questions you would like to share? Do it here :)