Tuesday, April 1, 2014

DIY: One Coconut - Get Out of It as Much as You Can

So, I bought a coconut. One coconut. And I didn't really know what to do with it, so I tried to get out of it as much as I can, this time not because I wanted to get it all, but to try how easy or hard it actually is. Easy, in fact, easier than I thought.

For those who live in places where coconuts grow naturally it all might seem funny. In Northern Europe we don't really get fresh coconuts and we don't see in nature how they grow. It's not that we haven't eaten them, but for me this was the first time experimenting with a coconut.  

But first of all - coconut (Cocos Nucifera) health benefits:

- Improving metabolism and digestion (advised for weight loss)
- Decreases heart disease risk improving blood cholesterol levels
- Reduces sweet cravings
- Boosts energy levels
- Immune system support
- Coconut milk is perfect milk substitute (vegan friendly)
- It's gluten-free
- Contains Vitamins A, B and E, calcium and iron

But mostly I've been interested in coconut oil, because coconut oil...
... is a natural sunscreen
...protects from negative environmental influences (wind, cold, sun etc)
...prevents skin dehydration
...absorbed in skin fast without leaving it greasy
...makes great make-up remover
...can be used to treat dry hair and dandruff
...is suitable treatment for children as well
...makes a great body butter that keeps skin elastic
...prevents wrinkles
...is a great carrier oil to mix with essential oils or use for DIY lotions, creams and balms


This is what I got from 1 coconut:

1 liter of coconut water

Firstly I broke the coconut and grated coconut meet. Eat some of it and decided to get some coconut water. I have no idea if you call it coconut water, but I poured on shredded coconut about 1 liter of water, and left it for 3-4 hours. So, the result was 1 liter of water with light coconut taste.

A jar with coconut milk

The next came some basic Google research writing in the searcher "Homemade Coconut Milk". I had coconut flakes already soaked in water, but my curiosity was strong enough that it didn't stop me. I boiled water, poured it in a bowl with soaked coconut and used blender to get a smooth mixture.

I strained the mixture through a piece of cotton cloth separating shredded-blended coconut from the liquid and squeezed it well to get out of it as much of liquid as possible. The liquid I got was about half a liter of coconut milk. It tasted fat and oily. I guess, if I mixed it with more water it would be lighter, but I left it in a jar and put in the fridge.

Coconut flakes

In a cotton cloth I had already pretty dry, fine coconut flakes. I do not have a dehydrator, so I left in a warm place to dry out, so I could keep coconut flakes.

Coconut oil

The next morning when I opened the fridge to try morning coffee with coconut milk, I discovered that on the top of my coconut milk there is a thick layer of curd. So thick that I had to  break it to get the liquid. It seemed so oily that I started to think I've got coconut oil, it just wasn't really the same consistence as coconut oil I buy from the store, so once again I had to ask Google - what's that. Getting to know that I could make my own coconut oil, I decided that I'm not a fan of my coconut milk. So I sacrificed this half a liter of coconut milk to get my own coconut oil!

I poured it into a saucepan and set the fire on low. It was simmering and I was stirring it pretty often, the liquid evaporated in steam, it got less and less, and when there was liquid left only on the bottom of the saucepan I finally saw the precious coconut oil. Little white coconut crumbles were still swimming in the oil, I let the water to evaporate and crumbles - to boil a bit in the oil, and then the limit of my patience was over and I poured the liquid into a little jar (leaving crumbles out of it) - yap, it got solid and I recognized that it really is coconut oil.

Oh! And you can make something like this as well: 

(Ok, the last thing I actually made couple of years ago and don't know were it is now...) I consider that I got everything I could have made from one single coconut. Is there something else I could have done with it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, experiences or questions you would like to share? Do it here :)